Monday, December 5, 2011

Double Stuffed Caramel Cookie Pops

 

Are you hosting a cookie exchange?  Are you attending a cookie exchange?  This is the cookie for you!
It's yummy and it's beautiful.  And just between you and me...it's super easy.




I am not sure where this recipe originated.  A friend of mine brought it to a cookie exchange a few years back.  She walked away with the grand prize.  How's that for a sales pitch?

You will need four ingredients:

vanilla wafers
caramel
chocolate discs
sprinkles

This isn't one of those precise recipes.  You pretty much just wing it.

As for the caramel ...pretty much anything goes.  Do you like to make your own?  Fabulous!  Do it.  Do it right now.  Do you have candy thermometer-a-phobia?  (Yes, I am sure that's a real word!)  No problem.  I have a suggestion for you.  It's called Peter's Caramel.  It comes in a large golden brick of deliciousness.  Just cut off what you need, and put it in a cup or bowl.  Melt it slowly in the microwave (50% power for 30 second intervals until it's melted and smooth) or in a double boiler.  I usually find Peter's Caramel at my local candy supply store.  It can also be found online.  Another less delicious but equally viable option is to use Kraft Caramels and melt according to package directions.  Place a dollop of melted caramel on the flat side of each vanilla wafer.  I used a regular spoon (the kind you eat your cereal with in the morning) and filled it about half-way.  Then I took another spoon to scrape it onto the cookie.  Let the caramel set for a minute.

Take two caramel laden cookies.  Place a lollipop stick in the middle and carefully squish the cookies together.  The double caramel makes all the difference.  Really.  I'm not going to lie to you.  If you skimp on the caramel you will be sorry.

Now slowly melt your chocolate discs in a small bowl or cup in the microwave.  Again, use 50% power for thirty second intervals.  Stir after each.  Once your chocolate is smooth and lump free, you are ready to dip.  Carefully dip each cookie pop into the chocolate.  Tap off the excess.  Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Decorate with sprinkles if desired.  Place in the freezer for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.  You can also stripe with contrasting chocolate colors (like white or red or green) or decorate with royal icing.

You can alter this recipe to make as many or as few as you like.  I made twenty-five pops with 1 cup of caramel and a couple of handfuls of chocolate discs.

Package them up and deliver them to all of your loveliest friends.


Update:  I have improved upon these a bit.  Check here if you want to know how.

2 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! Did u make the Santa? Julie T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this my favorite Julie T? How are you feeling? I did not make the Santa. I found them at a local shop. I got a sheet of 100 of them for 50 cents! I think you could easily make your own though. It's just royal icing that they piped onto a piece of parchment. Let it harden. Peel it off and you are good to go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...